Saturday, August 6, 2011

goodbye, summer!






Although fall has not officially started, it definitely feels like summer is over. Yesterday was my first day back at work. It was a bittersweet moment yesterday dropping the kids back off at my in-laws. We are so fortunate to have family that will look after our precious babies each day. Aubrey got a little upset, which definitely didn't make things any easier. However, once I got to school, I had plenty to do to keep my mind focused on getting my classroom ready and plans for next week.
We have had an incredible summer, full of trips, swimming, and spending time with friends. We have gone to the pool so much with family and friends, at my parents' house, at Health Plus, and some neighborhood pools. Hunter enjoys snuggling while in the pool and has even fallen asleep occasionally while in the pool. Aubrey's swimming has really taken off, and she has learned to come up for a breath as needed. While at the beach the last week of July, Aubrey swam across the width of the pool by herself.
One week in July, Aubrey participated in art camp with some of her friends from preschool. She had a fantastic time painting, drawing, and exploring various types of art. Several of those days, Hunter and I had fun walking with some of the other moms. He especially appreciated getting to rest while being pushed in the stroller.
The kids have really grown up this summer. Hunter is pulling up and walking behind toys. He also likes getting into cabinets as much as possible. The first thing he does every day is crawl to the bookshelf and pull all his books off. He also has been teething a lot lately and soon will have eight teeth. Brett and I have been amazed in the growth in Aubrey's vocabulary and articulation. She is forming much more complex sentences now, and she loves making words with her alphabet blocks. Last week, she even read a word off a shopping bag. Needless to say, Brett and I were very surprised and proud of her.
As summer comes to a close and the school year begins, I am reminded of how blessed I am that I get to spend time with them in the summer. God's blessings on our lives never cease to amaze me!
-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment